Project Management Knowledge

Firm-Fixed-Price Contract

The term firm fixed price contract refers specifically to a type or variety of fixed price contract where the buyer or purchaser pays the seller or provider a fixed amount, and that this particular set amount will not waver of vary under any circumstances whatsoever, such as in instances in which unexpected costs suddenly arise and the provider may have to expend additional resources. There are benefits of this type of contract to both the buyer and the seller. To the seller, it is beneficial because it typically allows for the seller or provider to charge a higher base fee. Since there is no chance of that number growing, it is not likely to draw the sticker shock that it would otherwise to have a slightly higher number. However, for the buyer that also provides a very tangible benefit. Even though you are paying a slightly higher amount up from, you are purchasing with that peace of mind, peace in the knowledge that this price is not going to chance, will not go up under any circumstances.

This term is defined in the 3rd and the 4th edition of the PMBOK.


  1. If you have a project that is set up as a fixed fee amount and you are ready to send an invoice to the client, do you write off all the work-in-progress and then generate an invoice with the fixed fee amount?

  2. What exactly do you mean with “work-in-progess”? If you want to invoice the client during the project for the work that has been done so far, I would look at the value of the milestones completed.

  3. I have a real case to discuss here …. the contract is a FIXED-PRICE LUMP SUM … the Bill of Quantities consist of quantities, rates and amount based on engineering drawings … I want to invoice the Client based on % value of completed works on milestones achievement but the Client want the invoice to based on measurement of completed works … who is correct? ….. what if the final measured quantities only achieved 80% of the bill of quantities? do I get paid for the remaining 20% because my interpretation is based on FIXED-PRICE LUMP SUM

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Back to top